Do you have surgery planned in the near future? It is natural to be a little worried about how well the procedure will go or how long your recovery period may be. Many people participate in physical therapy treatments after surgery as part of their recovery plan, which is undeniably helpful for the healing process. However, there are also several benefits to completing a pre-surgical rehabilitation plan. Contact Cypress Physical Therapy today to find out how our services can help you with your surgical procedure and recovery.
What exactly is pre-surgical rehabilitation?
Pre-surgical rehabilitation also referred to as “pre-hab”, is becoming an increasingly recommended practice by surgeons, as it can improve the outcomes for their patients. Studies have shown that beginning physical therapy a month or so before surgery can significantly speed up your recovery time. It is no secret that the preparation for surgery can leave you feeling anxious, but a pre-hab program may be able to put your mind at ease. A pre-surgical rehabilitation plan will help you get physically and mentally prepared for your upcoming procedure.
How is it beneficial?
Surgery can take a traumatic toll on your body; therefore, it is typically only performed when there are no other options available. According to the National Institutes of Health, participating in exercise therapies prior to surgery can exceptionally improve your post-operative outcomes and reduce your recovery time. Pre-hab helps improve strength and promote pain relief before surgery, as it prepares your body for the procedure. It can also help you prepare mentally, by encouraging an overall sense of wellbeing. Pre-hab helps to improve your range of motion and patterns of movement with exercises that you can perform before and after your surgery, in order to speed up your recovery time. In general, physical therapy will assist you in improving your physical health and promoting general wellness.
5 ways pre-hab works:
- Reduces pain – Physical therapists can help prepare you to maximize your post-surgical outcomes. This can be done through a variety of methods, including exercise, or ice and heat therapies.
- Improves outcomes – The American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) states that pre-hab can improve the overall outcomes of surgery, and can reduce overall health care costs. The stronger you are before the surgery, the more likely the surgical outcomes will be successful.
- Reduces complications – Pre-hab programs can improve mobility and may help to reduce your chance for infection.
- Increases stamina – Whatever surgery you may need, there is an increased risk for loss of strength following the procedure. However, pre-hab can help to reduce this risk through strengthening prior to the operation. Engaging in a physical routine before surgery will improve your overall endurance and enhance your rehabilitation outcome.
- Shortens recovery – By completing a pre-hab program before your surgery, your recovery should go much smoother than it would without physical therapy treatments. Strengthening exercises before surgery help you get back to your regular routine much quicker.
Consider pre-surgical rehabilitation today:
Pre-hab has known to provide great benefits for surgical patients. By consulting with one of our physical therapists, you can find out what treatment plan will be best for you to achieve optimal results. When you are as strong, flexible, and healthy as possible, you regain normal function more quickly, following surgery. Starting a pre-hab program also means you will be able to establish a positive exercise routine that you will be accustomed to before your surgery. These exercises will establish a foundation for a better outcome.
If you are planning on having surgery, contact Cypress Physical Therapy today to speak with one of our qualified team members. Our physical therapy practice is dedicated to providing you with the best treatment options available. For the best results, it is important to get started as soon as possible. Schedule your appointment today!